Policies and Procedures
**ONLY MSU STUDENTS can receive tutoring from TLC**
Tips for a Successful Session:
- Bring sample problems, textbook, notes, pen/pencil, calculator, syllabus, etc.
- Have specific questions for the tutor
- Be responsible for your learning: seek help throughout the course not just the week before the exam. In other words, come the first week of class.
- DO NOT bring your homework and expect the tutor to give you answers. You are expected to abide by the Honor Code at all times.
- Attend classes and write down questions/concepts you do not understand so you can receive help when you visit TLC.
- Attempt the work before seeking help.
- To schedule an appointment, log into your myState portal and click on the “Tutoring by Appointment” link (lower right-hand side of page) which uses single sign-on access, call 662.325.8163, or come to Allen 266 (TLC Tutoring Lab).
- Appointments made online are for 30 minute increments. You may increase the duration of your appointment to 1 hour. After your appointment has ended, if there is not another student waiting to be tutored, you may stay and receive additional tutoring. Either you or the TLC lab assistant will need to schedule the additional appointment for this time slot.
- Students are limited to a maximum of 4 tutoring hours per week (8 —30 minute sessions), per course tutored unless approved by TLC administration.
- You cannot make an appointment for the same time every week for an entire semester, please be courteous to other students who may also need help.
- Arrive for tutoring sessions on time- students arriving 10 minutes late will forfeit their session.
- If you miss 3 appointments you will no longer be allowed to make appointments you meet with The Learning Center Director. Remember when you miss an appointment you may be depriving another student an opportunity.
- If you cannot make your appointment you must alert TLC 2 hours in advance or else you will be marked as a no-show (max of 3)
- To cancel an appointment, log into your myState portal and click on the “Tutoring by Appointment” link (lower right-hand side of page) which uses single sign-on access, call 662.325.8163, or come to Allen 266 (TLC Tutoring Lab).
- These are only available if tutors have not been previously booked or a student does not show up for their appointment and will be given on a first-come first-served basis.
- TLC will try to keep the wait 15 minutes or less when possible.
- You may sit and wait quietly at a table and, if a tutor can, they will begin helping you.
- Only sealable water bottles are allowed. No other food or drink is allowed in the lab.
- Put your phone on SILENT (not vibrate) and out of sight- respect the tutors’ time. Taking pictures of another’s work or textbook is not permitted.
- Be conscientious of other students trying to learn and use your "inside voice."
- Clean up after yourself.